YOung HOrse Trainer
YOung HOrse Trainer
Kristen began riding in 1999 when she started lessons at a local farm. Her family and instructor knew immediately she was hooked and had found her passion.
Since then, Kristen has dedicated her life to becoming a better horsemen. As a youth, Kristen worked with many different breeds and disciplines. She and her Arabian mare S.X. Perfixa competed successfully all around Michigan at both open and breed shows.
When it was time to decide on college, Kristen knew the horse industry was where she wanted to be. She studied at Michigan State University, enrolled in the CANR Horse management program. While at Michigan State Kristen gained experience in many areas of the industry, from starting babies to working with stallions, halter breaking and even gaining show experience in sport horse in-hand classes with the summer show team.
In January of 2014, Kristen accepted an offer from the prestigious Al Marah Arabian Stable in Tucson, Arizona. Here she was not only responsible for training young stock but also sales preparation, the apprentice program and the overall management of the stable.
While in Arizona, Kristen worked with many of horses and gave them a great start to successful careers in dressage, endurance, western pleasure and even competitive trail.
Upon following another job opportunity into Arabian main ring performance training, Kristen started to gain knowledge working with western pleasure and main ring Hunters under Joe Reeser and Wendy Sheldon at Setting Sun stables. Along with the daily care and exercising of these horses, she traveled to US Nationals and the Scottsdale Arabian show to groom and help with show prep.
All of this experience has followed her to Benchmark Dressage where she has begun establishing a clientele and training program of her own under the guidance of Kimberly Bench and regular clinicians USDF Gold Medalist Katrina Hiller and USDF Silver Medalist Sue Thome.
Since coming to Benchmark, Kristen has been coaching and competing at both local and USDF sanctioned Dressage shows through 2nd level, and even qualifying for sport horse nationals through the Arabian Horse Association.
Kristen continues to set ever-changing goals for herself and wants to continue gaining training skills, improving her coaching abilities, achieve her USDF bronze medal and present several young horses with the hopes of qualifying for USDF Young Horse Finals.
- Summer 2017 - Presenting young horses in the USDF 4 year old and 5 year old tests.
- March 2017 - Clinic with Fred Weber
- April 2017 - Clinic with Katrina HIller
- Nov 2016 - ongoing - Rides with USDF Gold Medalist, Katrina Hiller
- Summer 2016 - Showed Major Down and Pretty Flashy Dude at USDF, 1st and 2nd Level
- 2016 - Clinic Fred Weber
- 2015 - Clinic with USDF Gold Medalist Sandra Tull of Southview Farm
- 2014-2017 Studied under Benchmark Dressage Head Trainer, Kimberly Bench - USDF Bronze Medalist
- 2015 - Multiple Clinics with USDF Bronze, Silver & Gold Medalist Katrina Hiller
- 2015 - Multiple lessons with USDF Bronze & Silver Medalist, Sue Thome - USDF "L" Grad
- 2015 - Qualified "Major Don" for AHA Sporthorse Nationals at 1st Level
- 2014 - Assistant trainer at Al-Marah Arabians
- 2014 Graduated from Michigan State University's CANR Horse Management Program